Prof Aurell worked five years full-time as consultant in the Swedish IT sector before joining KTH in 2003.
Main customers were Ericson, TeliaSonera and the Swedish Rail Administration (Banverket), now part of Swedish Transport Administration (Trafikverket), topics addressed were routing, automatic market mechanisms for internet traffic control and optimization of rail traffic flow.
— control of small physical systems (see publications 1, 4)
— inference from large data sets with biological applications (see publications 3, 6, 10)
— using statistical mechanics techniques in IT (see publications 7,8,9.11,12)
Example of outreach:
Co-author of a popular science book (in Swedish) Ernberg, I. et al. Vad är liv? I människan, i kosmos, i cellen, Karolinska University Press, Stockholm, 2010. ISBN 9789185565337
Presentation of this book at ABF (Arbetarnas Bildningsförbund), Stockholm, Sweden 2010 (I can find the exact date)
1. Erik Aurell “The physics of distributed information systems”
J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 473 012017 (2013) http://iopscience.iop.org/1742-6596/473/1/012017/
2. Erik Aurell, Krzysztof Gawȩdzki, Carlos Mejía-Monasterio, Roya Mohayaee, Paolo Muratore-Ginanneschi, Refined Second Law of Thermodynamics for fast random processes J. Stat. Phys. 147(3) (2012)
3. Erik Aurell, Hamed Mahmoudi, Dynamic mean-field and dynamic cavity for diluted Ising systems Phys. Rev. E 85, 031119 (2012)
4. Erik Aurell, Magnus Ekeberg, Inverse Ising inference using all the data Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 090201 (2012)
5. Erik Aurell, Carlos Mejía-Monasterio, Paolo Muratore-Ginanneschi, Optimal protocols and optimal transport in stochastic thermodynamics Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 250601 (2011)
6. Erik Aurell, Hamed Mahmoudi, A message-passing scheme for non-equilibrium stationary states J. Stat. Mech P04014 (2011)
7. Hong-Li Zeng, Erik Aurell, Mikko Alava, Hamed Mahmoudi, Network inference using asynchronously updated kinetic Ising model Phys. Rev. E 83, 041135 (2011)
8. Supriya Krishnamurthy, John Ardelius, Erik Aurell, Mads Dam, Rolf Stadler, Fetahi Wuhib, The Accuracy of Tree-based Counting in Dynamic Networks Proceeding of the 29th ACM SIGACT-SIGOPS symposium on Principles of distributed computing (2010)
9.Vishwambhar Rathi, Erik Aurell, Lars Rasmussen, Mikael Skoglund, Bounds on Thresholds related to Maximum Satisfiability of Regular Random formulas 6th International symposium on turbo codes & iterative information processing, 2010.
10. Vishwambhar Rathi, Erik Aurell, Lars Rasmussen, Mikael Skoglund, Bounds on Threshold of Regular Random k-SAT SAT 2010
11. Yasser Roudi, Erik Aurell, John Hertz, Statistical physics of pairwise probability models Front. Comput. Neurosci. 3 22 [arXiv:0905.1410] (2009)
12. Mikko Alava, John Ardelius, Erik Aurell, Petteri Kaski, Supriya Krishnamurthy, Pekka Orponen, Sakari Seitz, Circumspect descent prevails in solving random constraint satisfaction problems PNAS 105(40) 15253-15257 (2008)
13. Supriya Krishnamurthy, Sameh El-Ansary, Erik Aurell, Seif Haridi, An Analytical Study of a Structured Overlay in the presence of Dynamic Membership [arXiv:0710.0270] IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking 16 814-825 (2008)